Saturday, August 15, 2009

what this is all about

I thought, for the sake of documenting this, that I would start up a blog chronicling my thoughts about how I feel about how unexpectedly my life has turned out. 

For some background: I'm currently a recent graduate, unemployed, nearly broke, living back with my parents who have just moved to a small town in Northern Alberta where I probably just saw a drug deal going on down the street. (And before you ask, yes, drug deals DO happen. Frequently. In fact, traffic actually picks up in the neighbourhood around 12 am and if that isn't sketchy I'm not sure what is.)  I have, in the past 8 or so months, been rejected from Grad School and every single job application and no, its not because I'm not talented (I have been successfully freelancing) or because I had bad marks. If I knew what it was I'd probably fix it if I could. People are blaming the recession and that may be true, but I also think that people have a very strong obsession with blaming something for the bad shit that goes on in their lives.

So truth be told, I did not expect to be 22, unemployed, living with my parents and watching the E! Network religiously on Youtube.  Although, Chelsea Handler where have you been all my life? To be fair though, sitting around watching episodes of trashy TV online makes me feel sad and pathetic, but I'm fine with it, because it seems like there is a high percentage population of people feeling the exact same way in this town and what can I say, shows making fun of celebrities or having news about anything media related is my crack. So I'm at least somewhat better than some of the population who's crack is actually crack.

And if you're expecting bitching and whining well you might get that. I can be a huge bitch and who doesn't whine when things don't turn out. But good stuff can be something that you don't expect to. For instance:
I am also a self-sustaining freelance graphic designer (also photographer and illustrator), a self published author who produced a children's book which I wrote and illustrated, I've had my work featured prominently in the Edmonton Fringe Festival catalogue and program and all my charming and beautiful clients give me far more word of mouth advertising than I could ever dream of.

So its not all bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment